Master of Science in Information Studies, University of Texas, Austin, TX, 2008.
Bachelor of Specialized Studies in English, Writing, and Psychology, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA, 2007.
Associate Editor and Community Manager Book Riot (2014 – present)
- Create and schedule content at Book Riot and Riot social media, including weekend news round-ups, best-of posts, and follow-ups to sponsored posts.
- Set editorial schedule and oversight for weekend content on Book Riot and sister site Panels, to include answering contributor questions, editing posts, and following best practices for sharing content online.
- Moderate social media via website comments, Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.
- Schedule and promote content on Tumblr, Pinterest, and moderate discussion and growth of Goodreads for Book Riot.
- Spearhead curation of the Young Adult Quarterly subscription box, to include complete editorial control of books and materials purchased and distributed, which goes out to 1000+ subscribers every three months.
- Develop and maintain a database of Book Riot content.
- Oversee sundry administrative tasks such as contacting giveaway winners, updating mailing list subscription databases, and filling in where necessary.
Reference and Teen Librarian Beloit Public Library (2012 – 2014)
- Provided reference and reader’s advisory services to a diverse patron base of adults and teenagers.
- Developed and ran teen programming.
- Selected and maintained teen materials collection.
- Created reader’s advisory materials for teen users, including offering digitally-based services via social media.
- Served on eReader lending committee, suggesting e-book, e-audiobook, and app titles for inclusion, as well as offering feedback on circulation policy and implementation.
Head of Youth Services Aram Public Library (2010 – 2011)
- Created and implemented programming and outreach services including weekly story time at elementary schools, book talks at the middle and high school, biweekly meetings of the high school book club, and additional special events for youth ages birth to 18.
- Organized and managed summer reading program for youth birth to 18, to include designing and coordinating print materials, outreach, programming, and managing a budget.
- Selected and maintained youth services and teen collections of books, DVDs, music, audiobooks, and playaways.
- Produced publicity material and developed relationships with local organizations serving youth.
- Assisted in managerial duties by serving as acting director during Director absence, helping in interview and hiring decisions, and setting policy for youth services area.
- Managed and instructed all volunteer and community service workers on duties and expectations.
- Provided 15-20 hours of reference services to youth and caregivers per week.
- Developed online presence for teen services via social media and the library website.
- Successfully wrote a grant awarded by YALSA and Family Dollar to provide summer reading club programming for teens; saw teen participation increase by nearly 500%.
Teen and Reference Librarian North Suburban Library District (2009 – 2010)
- Developed and managed programming for teens and cultivated a new service area for patrons age 10-13 with “Tween Zone” programming.
- Presented book talks, research workshops highlighting databases and information literacy skills, and coordinated outreach efforts within local schools, to include implementing book talks and writing articles to local media.
- Maintained young adult collection, as well as areas of adult non-fiction.
- Coordinated, implemented and evaluated all aspects of teen summer reading club and teen winter reading club.
- Redesigned and updated reader’s advisory material for young adult and adult fiction.
- Spearheaded social networking use, to include new teen Facebook and MySpace pages.
- Provided 20+ hours of reference services per week at two suburban libraries through in-person and electronic means, to include reader’s advisory of young adult and adult material.
Library Volunteer Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas (2008 – 2009)
- Developed informational pathfinders on health topics including cerebral palsy and infant care.
- Assisted children, young adult, and adult patrons with technology access and basic reference inquiries.
- Completed copy cataloging and technical processing for new Spanish and English materials.
Teaching Assistant Dr. Loriene Roy, School of Information, University of Texas
- Assisted in professional activities of Loriene Roy, including communication with American Library Association, course instruction/management, and website maintenance.
- Co-edited book on service learning published through ALA titled Service Learning: Linking Library Education and Practice.
- Judge for Elephant Rock Books’s Sheehan Book Prize, 2016.
- Member of YALSA’s Outstanding Books for the College Bound Committee, 2013 – 2014.
- Administrative Assistant for YALSA’s Alex Award committee, 2012 – 2013.
- Co-founder of twice-monthly Twitter chat #Readadv, for those interested in discussing reader’s advisory, to include skill development, guest chat hosting, and creating lively question/answer sessions, 2012 – present.
- Coordinated and researched location arrangements and contract negotiations for 2013 annual Kid Lit Con in Austin, Texas.
- Selected to editorial board for YALSA’s Journal of Research on Young Adults and Libraries, 2010 – 2011.
- Judge for Children and Young Adult Bloggers’ Literary Awards (Cybils) in Young Adult Fiction in 2009, 2010, and 2011.
- Served on New Members Round Table Footnotes committee and Student and Student Chapter Outreach committee, 2010 – 2011.
STACKED Books Blog stackedbooks.org (2009 – Present)
- Review teen and adult fiction and non-fiction titles.
- Develop reader’s advisory guides, book lists, and explore topical issues within and outside young adult fiction and library services.
- Produce and publish regular interviews with teen authors and other industry professionals.
- Spearheaded AudioSynced, a monthly meme dedicated to highlighting audiobooks.
- Record an average of 70,000+ hits a month.
YALSA’s The HUB Blog Contributor yalsa.ala.org/thehub (2011 – 2012)